Attorney Katherine Kraus

Best Attorney
in Peoria!!!

Best Attorney
in Peoria!!!

Should you move out of the marital home?

On Behalf of | Dec 7, 2017 | Blog

As you work out the details of your divorce, one question that you may find is running through your mind is if you should move out of the marital home in the Phoenix metro area. You may not feel the need to do so, but you may no longer want to continue living in a place that has so many memories of you and your relationship with your ex-partner. 

Now is not the time for you to make hasty decisions because of your feeling towards your ex-spouse. Instead, you should take into consideration how moving out of or remaining in the marital home may affect your settlement and post-divorce situation. 


If you move out of the marital home, you could find yourself responsible for the upkeep of two residences rather than lowering expenses. Depending on your financial situation, this could create some challenges because you are paying for two homes and only living in one. If moving out is the best solution for your situation, be sure to save up enough money to cover your living expenses for several months first. 

Child custody 

If you and your ex-spouse have kids together, you need to consider how moving out of the marital home will affect them and custody. Make sure you have a child custody/parenting time agreement in place before you move out. Also, regardless of how custody is decided, your new home should be suitable for them. 

Harmful environment 

Your ex-spouse may resort to using intimidation and emotional and physical abuse to get you to move out of the marital home. If you feel that remaining in the same home as your spouse until your divorce is final is detrimental to your mental or physical health, move into your own place. Be sure to inform the courts about the negative behaviors. 

The marital home is one of the biggest investments and assets you may have. Because it can have a significant impact on the outcome of your divorce and post-divorce finances, you should consider speaking with an attorney for guidance and options.

FindLaw Network