Best Attorney
in Peoria!!!

When Modifications To Decrees Are Necessary

Divorce decrees last until forever, unless you request changes. Very often, circumstances change over time, and the terms you agreed to during the divorce no longer make sense:

  • If the noncustodial parent’s income has greatly increased over time, it is appropriate to revisit the terms of child support or spousal maintenance.
  • If the child’s education needs or area of special interest takes a surprising turn, court orders may need to be updated to reflect the change.
  • If the parenting plan for visitation changes, a modification to the original order may be necessary.

Many times, the other side will contest modification. In my practice, I represent both sides in initiating modifications and also contesting them when they are not in the best interests of a client or the children.

My law office can assist with modifications due to changes involving:

  • Relocating with the child (move-away)
  • Changing schedules
  • Changes necessary as the children get older
  • Addiction or alcoholism
  • Emotional, physical or sexual abuse
  • Mental illness
  • Unwillingness to assume the responsibilities of a parent
  • Improved financial situations
  • Problematic financial situations
  • Any other situation or condition that needs to be formally addressed

You may bring a motion to modify child custody if there has been a substantial and continuous change of circumstances and modification would be in a child’s best interests.

Post-decree custody and support modifications are one of the strengths of my Phoenix practice. To discuss the changes you feel are necessary or that you wish to contest, call me at my Peoria office at 623-239-0015. You can also email me a description of your situation.